Friday, September 30, 2011

The Smugness of the Recovered Christian

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/taylor-glenn/the-smugness-of-the-recov_b_979764.html

The piece of writing I found is a bog post by British comedian Taylor Glenn. In the post Glenn is giving her experience of deciding that she no longer agrees with her former Christian views. She starts by mentioning that she almost felt a sense of freedom. She felt like she could do anything and not be judged or have it matter. Glenn then starts to mention how smug she became when she gave up Christianity. She had so much pride in the fact that she was atheist. And she would even go as far as to make fun of, and turn her nose up at people who weren't atheist. Glenn finishes her blog post by talking about her recovery from the smugness. She realizes that her smugness was unnecessary, and that she shouldn't have acted that way. Of course Glenn still holds her opinions about religion, but she now lets other people have their own opinion without judging them or letting her pride get the best of her. 


One of the reasons that I chose this blog post was because I felt like I could relate to it. I had a similar experience to Glenn. I also had a point where I questioned my faith. And, just like Glenn, I had a weird, almost smug attitude about the whole thing. I think her writing was easy to relate to. I also liked the writing style, and I felt like it added a lot to the writing. The part of Glenn's post that stood out to me the most was her tone. I felt like it was easy to get a sense of just how smug and sarcastic she really was. I like that even though she's talking about a problem she had, she still manages to keep the tone pretty light, and not too serious. Because the word choice is so informal, it helps keep the tone light. Another part of Glenn's writing that I like was that she never tries to sugar coat her experience. She's not afraid to just tell her story like it is, and I have a lot of respect for the fact that she is truly honest to herself and her readers. 




Catherine Giunta

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this article, and your summary of it. Your analysis bores deep into the core of what makes this article truly great, and comes back to the surface like a miner with his hand clutched firmly around a radiant piece of shining gold. Tone is an important part of writing, and I think your reaction reflects that.

    - Sean Adam Boucher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did an excellent job of analyzing and relating to your text, Catherine. You were able to connect with what the writer wrote about and that helped you to dissect it in a deeper way than a reader who didn't have a similar experience would have been able to.

    ReplyDelete