Monday, December 12, 2011

Virginia Tech's 2011 Shooting

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/12/virginia-tech-shooting-funeral.html

“It happened again?” Like many other people, that was my first reaction to the news of the shooting at Virginia Tech last thursday. Ross Truett Ashley, a student at the school shot campus police officer, Deriek W. Crouse, for no apparent reason. He then killed himself. This event brought the public’s attention back to the shootings on April 16, 2007 on the same campus. The gunman, Seung-hui Cho single-handedly killed thirty-two people on that day, making it the deadliest rampage made by an individual in history. The students don’t want these shootings to define their school. I have sympathy for them. Innocent people have been killed at the hands of their own peers. That’s wrong on so many levels. The instability of two individuals became the insecurity of hundreds of students and their families. For no reason at all. There are far more than thirty-three victims here. And the terror and grief goes beyond those two days. Now the school has a reputation that it doesn’t deserve and the students have to live in fear at their own school. This is all because of two kids that decided to take away the future that these victims were building for themselves. These kids don’t deserve to be part of the daily news’ body count. It’s just wrong. I don’t know what else to say.

-Daniel Xavier Tierney

6 comments:

  1. I did my review on the same subject and focused more on the actual event and the passing of the officer as an individual, but I love how you also tied in the past Virginia Tech shootings. It shows how the same topic can be looked at in different lenses. I liked the looking at it from the perspective students and students who are ashamed of the reputation their school has gotten. You are clearly very passionate about this as I was and I admire your thoughts. Great job here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job Dan!
    Those kids dont't deserve to be part of a regular body count.

    Chris TUrmel

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article was very shocking to me. I cannot believe that this happened again. One would think that after a shooting at a school happened once, it would move people. It would make them never want to have it happen again. I can't even imagine going to a school where such a thing occurs. While there are usually many psychological causes for someone to shoot another person, this is no excuse. Just because one person has done it before, it does not justify another doing the same. It bothers me that many people do not think about how their actions can effect other people's lives or in this case, take someone's life. After reading a story like this one, it just makes me want to be a better person. It is never "okay" to take the life of another human being. They have as much of a right to live as you and me.

    Bridget Meehan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the exact same reaction that you did... My heart just sank when I heard that it happened again. It's unfortunate that this school has gotten this bad reputation because this is a great school that has just had some really bad luck with students in recent years.

    Casey D'Eon

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article helped me realize that this type of thing can happen anywhere to anyone. One of my friends who goes to school is actually from Virginia and many of her friends go to that school. So I saw here worrying constantly trying to figure who was and wasn't hurt. This made me think and helped me understand we are lucky not to of had this happen to us.

    Dylan Comeau

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first read the title of th artice I thought to myself didnt this alreaady happen? As i kept reading come to find out it happend again. I was very shock I thought how could it happend again you would think the school would have tougher security to prevent this from happening again. In fact i think all school should have securityy so thaat this wont happen agan.


    Dominique Haskins

    ReplyDelete