Monday, December 12, 2011

5 Situations That Are Secretly Terrifying For Awkward People

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-situations-that-are-secretly-terrifying-awkward-people/
     Daniel O'Brien never fails to entertain as the senior writer at Cracked.com, a website dedicated to humorous columns and articles.  One of my favorite entries of his from 2011 is "5 Situations That Are Secretly Terrifying For Awkward People."  In the article, he examines five different scenarios that are uncomfortable for socially inadequate individuals.  Not only are his observations very accurate, but he also tells them with a hilarious angle and experience.
     I always look forward to Dan's upcoming work for Cracked.  His style of writing, while hugely entertaining, also has this sense of superiority to it.  Perhaps this is because of his position on the board of columnists on the site.  That almost too confident style apparent in his articles allows him freedom in his writing, which opens up new creative doors and usually makes it more enjoyable.  He writes this way because he can, and he's well aware of it.
     This particular piece hits a little too close to home, unfortunately.  As I read "5 Situations That Are Secretly Terrifying For Awkward People," I became increasingly concerned at how well I could relate to every point O'Brien was making.  Now, this undeniable truth that I'm an awkward human being wasn't just sprung onto me at this point.  There was no sudden clarity.  The concerning part is that Dan O'Brien is able to literally recite my inadequacies in the form of a five thousand word comedy article for the internet.  I suppose we can all relate to some of the things here, so it's okay.  Let's all be awkward.  Together.


Cullen Ryan

2 comments:

  1. I think the article is hilarious partly because it hits close to home, as I find myself stuck in these kinds of situations nearly every day. I liked how you didn't just write about the article, but about the style of the author as well. That shows a good knowledge of the article. Well done!

    -Ben Ruesch

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your entry and the article it self, these situations are not ones that one would normamlly think of in every day life. However they are all terribly awkward and terrifying. i can relate highly to the suit fitting as I have undergone this process, and it is certainly not a pleasant one. Thanks for sharing!

    -Jay Souweine

    ReplyDelete